THE project development
The tangible solution that the project seeks to achieve are the following:
- Affordability: the products will be offered to women with no means as well to be available at affordable price on the market;
- Environmental sustainability: the sanitary pads are made of organic, compostable and good quality material sourced in India. We are searching for an alternative solution in the neighbouring African countries.
- Viability: the production machines are easy to operate by women. They will earn a decent income when trained in the maintenance and operations, as well as in the promotion of sanitary pads. The machine when operating at full capacity will generate a surplus that will be sold inside/outside the camps.
TARGET GROUP AND WORKERS NEEDED
The primary beneficiaries are the women living in refugee camps. Other beneficiaries include women outside the camps, who will have access to sanitary pads at affordable prices, either through aid agencies or through the marketplace.
- 10 to 20 women will be working in the manufacturing facility;
10 to 20 women will be trained to market the sanitary pads outside the camp;
40 women will be trained to explain preventive measures and create awareness for the regular use of sanitary pads, influencing young adolescents positively inside the camps and into neighbouring villages.
WHAT HAS BEEN DONE
Actual situation, December 2021:
- A production unity has been set in Kigali
- The machines and raw materials arrived
- The first members of the team have been engaged
- The machines have been prepared for production
- The first samples of Uzima sanitary pads have been produced
- The Rwandan Standards Board has validated these samples
- The unity has been modified as the legal norms
- The packaging has been done
WHAT REMAINS TO BE DONE
- The Rwandan Standards Board has to validate the unity of production Uzima
- Launch the production in January 2022
- Hire more women for production
Organise the production and distribution of the sanitary pads
Form a first group of women to train other women
Set a strategy for sales promotion
Ensure extra funding for the acquisition of additional raw material for 2022
- Manage the whole project to achieve the final goals, while reaching a balance between figures and costs
- Duplicate the successful production model in other locations